You should always refer to your lease for details about your rights and obligations but as a general guide, the main points of interest are summarised below.

Service charges

You must pay your share of the costs of managing and maintaining your building. This is a legal duty set out in your lease. If you do not pay your share, you are breaking your lease agreement 

We will always be fair about service charges. We will explain how they are calculated, and you can challenge any charges you do not agree with.

You must pay your annual service charge (including the ground rent, buildings insurance premium and management fee) promptly when payment is due.

Maintenance, repairs and improvements

You must contribute towards the costs incurred for repairs and maintenance to the structure, exterior and communal areas of your block. In some cases you may also be required to contribute towards the cost of improvements (refer to the terms in your lease).

You have the right to expect the Valleys to Coast to maintain and repair the building’s main structure and manage the common parts.


You have the legal right to be consulted before any major works are carried out or any long-term agreements are entered into (which will affect your block).

We must consult you if any work or service that will come out of the long-term agreement will cost you, or any leaseholder, more than the limit set down under the regulation. Currently, the limits are £250 per item of repair work and £100 for services provided on an annual basis.
If works fall below these limits, Valley to Coast will complete the required repairs or services. These costs will be included in your annual estimates or a part of the reconciliation of your annual service charge costs.

Buildings Insurance

Valleys to Coast will keep your flat insured for the full rebuild value. A leaseholder is responsible for arranging content insurance. This is included in your annual service charge.


Valleys to Coast is responsible for maintaining proper accounts of your service charges. We will invoice you annually and provide information on how your service charges have been calculated.

Selling the flat

You have the right to sell the flat whenever you want to whomever you want so long as the covenants in the lease are met. You must inform your Home Ownership Team if you are selling the flat and certain conditions may need to be met if you purchased


You are permitted to sublet the flat but you must obtain consent and complete subletting form. Additional administration fees may apply.

Keep the flat in good repair

You must keep the interior of your flat plus fixtures and fittings in good condition and repair; including all walls, sewers, drains and cables belonging to demised premises.

Structural alterations or additions

You must not make any structural alterations or additions to the flat without first obtaining written permission. 

Access to your property

You must allow the Valleys to Coast staff or representatives and its associated partners to enter your flat to carry out repairs to your property or adjoining premises (with reasonable notice).

Garden maintenance

Your lease should include a coloured plan that defines the boundary of your flat and any areas of garden or outside space that are exclusive to you. It is your responsibility to repair and maintain these areas.

Communal areas

You must keep communal areas clear of obstruction – rubbish or personal items are not permitted to be stored in these areas.

Being a good neighbour

You are entitled to ‘quiet enjoyment’ of your home, which means we will not unnecessarily or unreasonably interfere with the property. and your neighbours have the same right.

You must not do anything to cause a nuisance to your neighbours including anti-social behaviour or causing excessive noise. You may have people above or below you, and you may have to share landings and other areas. We will try to deal with people who cause a nuisance to you, but equally, you must not cause a nuisance to them.

You are responsible for your own conduct as well as for the conduct of visitors to your home.

Intended use

 You must only use the flat as a private dwelling (not for business purposes) and you must not carry out any act which may render the insurance policies void or voidable.


You must not keep any pets including dogs, cats or birds in the flat or garden areas without first obtaining Landlord’. Please contact us if you are considering getting a pet.

Lease Extensions Long Leaseholders

Lease Extensions Long Leaseholders (for leases over 21 years) have a Statutory right to extend their Lease if they meet certain criteria. There is a premium charged for you to extend your Lease. This is a formal process with strict timelines. 

If you extend the Lease, you will normally be granted an additional 90 years to the remaining term of your current Lease and there are greater financial implications if you extend your lease when it has less than 80 years remaining. It may also be more difficult to assign your Lease if it has less than 80 years remaining as some Mortgage Lenders will not lend against these Leases.

To obtain more information regarding Lease Extensions, please visit the Leasehold Advisory Service, contact a Solicitor or contact the Home Ownership Team.

Right to Manage and Collective Enfranchisement

There are in some circumstances the ability for a group of Leaseholders to either take on the Management of their building or buy the Freehold from Valleys to Coast (known as Collective Enfranchisement) in order to manage the building themselves. These are both legal processes and will require a Solicitor to be instructed. As with Lease Extensions, there are strict criteria regarding both these possibilities. For more information regarding this please visit the Lease website or contact a Solicitor or the Home Ownership Team.

Valleys to Coast is exempt from the legislation relating to this, but we will investigate any requests.

The responsibilities of ownership

As a leaseholder, you effectively become a ‘shareholder’ in the block you live in. This means you have a responsibility to pay your share of the costs of managing and maintaining your block. Your landlord (Valleys to Coast) has a legal duty to charge you your share of the costs, and you have a legal duty to pay them.