Our Water Account Partners

Our Water Account Partners have a wealth of experience and are available with confidential and free support to help.

Nicola Harvey (Link opens in new window)

Water Account Partner

We can call you back (Link opens in new window)

If you would like us to ring you, then request a callback here.

What schemes are available to help you?

HelpU Tariff 365

Helps low-income households by putting a cap on the amount you have to pay for your water.

How does it work?

If someone in your household is receiving one of the benefits below, and the combined annual household income is below the stated amount, you may be entitled to a reduction in your water bill.

You are entitled if you receive one of these benefits:

  • Pension Credit
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Council Tax Reduction/Support
  • Income-related Employment & Support Allowance
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit
  • Housing Benefit

You are entitled if your household income is below:

Household size Income
1 £9,700
2 £14,600
3+ £16,100


Household size means the total number of occupants aged over 16 and under.

You will also need to reapply for the tariff at the end of every 12 month period.

Read more and apply for the HelpU Tariff here.

WaterSure Scheme

If you have a meter or requested a meter, then the scheme puts a cap on the amount you have to pay for your water.

How does it work?

It caps your annual metered bill amount so you won’t pay over a certain amount for the year, no matter what your actual consumption is.

You are entitled if you receive one of these benefits:

  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Income Support
  • Employment Support Allowance
  • Jobseekers Allowance
  • Universal Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Pension Credit
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit (except families in receipt of the family element only)

And if you have three or more children under the age of 19 living at your home, for whom you claim Child Benefit.

Or you or a member of your household has a medical condition that requires significant use of extra water.

Read more about the WaterSure Scheme here.

Could you save money by installing a water meter?

If your estimated bill is high, and you are a low water user, or you live on your own, you could save money by having a meter installed. 

Read more and see if there is a cheaper option to install a meter.

Contact Welsh Water (Link opens in new window)

If you pay Welsh Water directly, and need to get in touch with them, you can call them on 0800 052 0145, or visit their website.